AAANZ Arts Writing and Publishing Awards (AWAPAs) recognise the best in arts writing and research across Australia and New Zealand.
ENTRIES for the 2023 AWAPAs are NOW OPEN
The AWAPAs highlight the vitality of arts publishing in the region and acknowledges the contribution of both emerging and established scholars, curators and artists. The Awards play a pivotal role in promoting the importance of writing and publishing in disseminating knowledge and understanding of the visual arts, craft and design. They are the only prizes in the Australasia region to celebrate the publishing achievements writers make to the field.
AWAPAs categories include prizes for books, exhibition catalogues, artist led publications, Indigenous Australian, Māori and Pasifika art writing. The Awards are sponsored by a number of universities, art museums, associations, publishing bodies and individuals.
- Originality and rigour of scholarship
- Contribution to knowledge in the area and impact on scholarly debate in the field
- Significance of the topic to the field and to adjacent disciplines
- Significance and originality of arts research
- Quality of the design and production values of the publication
- Ability to convey complex ideas to wider audiences
To enter a publication in the AWAPAs, entrants must be a AAANZ member. Staff affiliated with museums and galleries that have AAANZ institutional membership are also eligible to enter publications. The year of publication for all entries must be 2022.
Prize winners of each AWAPAs category are announced at the annual AAANZ conference.
The deadline for AWAPAs entries is Friday 28 July, 2023
See the AAANZ website for more information: https://aaanz.info/prizes/